Moving to a new home can be stressful – but being prepared with the right supplies can make it easier. Are you overwhelmed by the thought of packing up your household and all its contents? Don’t worry – you’re not alone! This guide will help you make sure you have everything you need to ensure a smooth, stress-free move. You’ll be ready to settle in your new home in no time!
- 1 Moving Boxes in Various Sizes
- 2 Packing Tape and Tape Dispenser
- 3 Bubble Wrap and Packing Paper
- 4 Furniture Pads and Blankets
- 5 Marker Pens for Labeling Boxes
- 6 Scissors and Box Cutters
- 7 Plastic Wrap and Garbage Bags
- 8 Hand Truck or Dolly
- 9 Gloves and Work Clothes
- 10 Cleaning Supplies for Before and After the Move
- 11 Conclusion
- 12 Frequently Asked Questions
Moving Boxes in Various Sizes
When planning for a move, one of the most essential supplies to get is moving boxes in various sizes. Having boxes of different sizes will allow you to pack a variety of items securely. Moving companies often recommend having an assortment of box sizes for packing your belongings.
Small boxes (16” x 10” x 10”): Perfect for packing heavy and dense items like books, canned foods, and tools. These smaller boxes are easy to carry and stack, making them a great choice for packing heavier items.
- Medium boxes (18” x 14”x 12”): Ideal for packing larger and less dense items like kitchen utensils, toys, and small appliances. Moving companies often recommend using these boxes for packing items that are too large or awkwardly shaped for small boxes.
- Large boxes (20” x 20” x 15”): Best for packing light and bulky items such as comforters, pillows, and lamps. These boxes are ideal for packing items that are too large for medium boxes but not heavy enough for extra-large boxes.
- Extra-large boxes (23” x 23” x 16”): These are great for packing lightweight and large items such as bedding, lampshades, and clothing. Moving companies suggest using these boxes for packing items that are too big for the other boxes and need extra protection.
Using boxes in different sizes will help you to pack your belongings more efficiently, reduce the risk of damage during transport, and make the unpacking process much easier. When choosing your moving boxes, be sure to check with a moving company to ensure you have the right sizes for your specific move.
Packing Tape and Tape Dispenser
If you’re planning a move, you must have the essential moving supplies, including packing tape and a tape dispenser.
Packing Tape: It is a crucial supply for sealing boxes and ensuring that everything stays secure during transit. Choose a high-quality packing tape that is both durable and long-lasting. Avoid using masking tape or duct tape as these may not provide sufficient adhesion and can come off during the move.
Tape Dispenser: A good tape dispenser will help you save time and increase efficiency during packing. Select a sturdy tape dispenser that is easy to use and compatible with your packing tape.
Pro Tip: To save money on moving supplies, consider buying a moving kit that includes packing tape, a tape dispenser, boxes, bubble wrap, and other essential supplies. You can find many moving kits online or from your local home improvement stores.
Bubble Wrap and Packing Paper
Bubble wrap and packing paper are essential moving supplies that can protect your belongings from damage during transit.
Bubble wrap, made of small plastic bubbles, provides a cushioning layer for delicate items like dishes, glassware, and electronics. Use enough bubble wrap to surround the item completely, then secure with packing tape.
Packing paper, also known as newsprint, provides a protective layer and prevents scratches or scuffs while in transit. It is ideal for wrapping items such as ceramics, paintings, and picture frames.
When using packing paper, crumple it up to add cushioning and prevent movement within the box. You can also use it to fill empty spaces in boxes and prevent items from shifting during transit.
Keep in mind that bubble wrap and packing paper can be purchased in bulk at your local moving supply store or online to save money.
Furniture Pads and Blankets
Furniture pads and blankets are essential moving supplies that will protect your furniture from scratches, dings, and damages during transit.
Here’s why furniture pads and blankets are crucial, and how to use them:
- Furniture pads are thick and cushioned, providing reliable protection against impacts and friction during transportation. These pads are made of various materials, including quilted cotton, polyester, and foam. Choose a material and size that corresponds to your furniture’s shape and dimensions.
- Moving blankets are thicker and more heavy-duty compared to furniture pads. They are effective at preventing scratches, dents, and impacts on your furniture, especially when packed tightly in a moving truck or van. Use moving blankets for fragile or more valuable items, or for long-distance moves that will involve multiple stops and handling.
To use furniture pads or blankets:
- Cover each piece of furniture in a pad or blanket, ensuring the entire surface is protected.
- Secure the pad or blanket with moving tape, tying a knot, or using an elastic cord.
- Secure loose pieces or parts, such as table legs or drawers, with bubble wrap or stretch wrap.
Pro tip: Label each piece of furniture with a tag or marker to indicate its contents and room destination for easy unpacking after the move.
Marker Pens for Labeling Boxes
When it comes to moving, using marker pens for labeling boxes is an essential component to stay organized and efficient throughout the process.
Here are some tips for choosing the right marker pens for labeling boxes:
- Choose a high-quality permanent marker with strong ink that won’t smudge or fade easily.
- Select a pen with a broad tip that allows you to write clearly and legibly on boxes of all sizes.
- Opt for a marker with a comfortable grip to avoid cramping or discomfort during extended periods of use.
- Consider using different colors for different types of items or rooms to make unpacking and organizing easier.
By labeling your boxes clearly and consistently, you’ll be able to keep track of your belongings and ensure that everything ends up in its intended location.
Pro Tip: Place labels on the sides of boxes as well as the tops to make identifying boxes easier when they are stacked.
Scissors and Box Cutters
Scissors and box cutters are essential moving supplies that you should have before your next move. These tools help you to easily and safely cut through packing materials, open boxes, and reduce the risk of injury.
Scissors are perfect for cutting through tape, twine, and rope, while box cutters easily slice through cardboard, plastic wrap, and other heavy-duty materials. When purchasing cutting tools for your move, look for high-quality, durable options that will last throughout the moving process. Consider purchasing multiple pairs for every member of your moving team to prevent delays and confusion on moving day.
Pro tip: Keep scissors and box cutters in a designated and easily accessible location, away from children and pets. Replace dull blades before your move to ensure that your cutting tools are as effective and safe as possible.
Plastic Wrap and Garbage Bags
When preparing for a move, don’t forget to stock up on essential supplies like plastic wrap and garbage bags. These items are crucial for protecting your belongings and keeping everything organized during the moving process.
Here’s how to use them effectively:
- Plastic Wrap: Wrap furniture, such as couches and chairs, with plastic wrap to protect them from scratches and stains. Use it to cover open containers of liquids, like toiletries, to prevent spills. You can also use it to bundle small items together, like silverware or small kitchen gadgets.
- Garbage Bags: Use sturdy garbage bags to pack clothing, bedding, and linens. They’re also useful for collecting and disposing of any trash or unwanted items during the move. Use colored bags to differentiate between items that are going to the trash and items that are going to the donation center or your new home.
Remember to keep a few extra rolls of both plastic wrap and garbage bags on hand, just in case.
Hand Truck or Dolly
A hand truck or dolly is an essential moving supply you should have before your next move. This equipment will make the process of moving heavy items such as furniture and boxes easier and less physically demanding.
A hand truck has two wheels and a handlebar that you grip while pushing the loaded truck. The wheels help distribute weight evenly and reduce the effort required to move boxes and furniture.
A dolly, on the other hand, has four wheels and a flat platform where you can place items to be moved. Dollies are useful when you need to move larger and heavier items such as appliances or furniture.
Investing in a hand truck or a dolly can save you time, energy, and possibly injury when planning your next move.
Gloves and Work Clothes
Gloves and work clothes are essential moving supplies that you should have before your next move to ensure a hassle-free and safe moving experience.
- Gloves: Wearing gloves during the moving process can protect your hands from injuries, cuts, and bruises that may occur while lifting boxes or handling sharp objects. Gloves also provide a better grip and prevent items from slipping from your hands, reducing the risk of damage to your belongings.
- Work clothes: Moving can be a messy process, and you don’t want to ruin your favorite outfit. Wearing comfortable and light-colored clothes can help you stay cool and clean during the move. Opt for long-sleeved shirts, pants, and closed-toe shoes to protect yourself from scratches, scrapes, and other injuries during the move.
Pro tip: Keep your gloves and work clothes in a separate bag, so they don’t get mixed up with your other belongings during the move.
Cleaning Supplies for Before and After the Move
Cleaning supplies are an essential part of moving that are often overlooked. Preparing these supplies before and after the move will make the transition as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Before you move, it is essential to have the following cleaning supplies:
- All-purpose cleaner: This will help you clean a wide range of surfaces around your home.
- Glass cleaner: You’ll need this to clean windows, mirrors, and any other glass surfaces.
- Broom and dustpan: These tools will help you clean the floors of your old home before you leave.
- Mop and bucket: These tools will help you clean the floors of your new home before moving in.
After the move, you will need to have the following cleaning supplies on hand:
- Paper towels: These will come in handy for quick cleanups.
- Trash bags: You’ll need these to dispose of any packing materials and other debris from the move.
- Vacuum cleaner: This tool will help you clean carpets, upholstery, and other soft surfaces.
- Cleaning cloths: These will help you clean countertops, sinks, and other surfaces around your new home.
By having these essential cleaning supplies on hand, you can ensure that your old home is left clean and tidy, and your new home is ready for you to move in.
In conclusion, having the right moving supplies can make the moving process a lot smoother and easier. It’s important to ensure you have all the essential moving supplies before your next move to avoid any unnecessary last-minute stress.
Here are some essential moving supplies you should have:
- Various sizes of moving boxes
- Packing tape and dispensers
- Bubble wrap and packing paper
- Furniture blankets and pads
- Stretch wrap and plastic furniture covers
- Moving dollies and hand trucks
- Labeling stickers and markers
Having these supplies on hand will help you to pack your belongings securely, protect your furniture during transit, and ensure your move goes as smoothly as possible. Pro tip – Keep all your essential moving supplies in one place so that you can avoid any last-minute rush or misplacing them.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the essential moving supplies that I should have before my next move?
You should have boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, packing paper, markers, and a dolly.
2. How many boxes should I purchase?
It depends on how many items you need to pack. On average, you should purchase at least 20-30 boxes.
3. Where can I purchase moving supplies?
You can purchase moving supplies at your local hardware store, department store, or online retailers.
4. Is it necessary to use bubble wrap?
Yes, it is necessary to use bubble wrap to ensure delicate items such as glasses and picture frames stay protected during the move.
5. Why do I need to use a dolly?
A dolly is used to move large and heavy items such as furniture, which can prevent injury and strain.
6. Can I reuse moving boxes?
As long as the boxes are in good condition, you can reuse them for your next move or donate them to someone who might need them.
Hay Quee Kee, a retired teacher from SK Meru in Selangor, Malaysia, is well-known as the Guru of Inventions. His creative achievements and success in inspiring students to come up with clever products such as the Wakie-wakie pillow have earned him recognition on The Stars.
Driven by his strong passion for home improvement projects, he founded Home Mentor with a vision of helping people find solutions for their home improvement needs.